S O S VERY EMERGENCY

S O S VERY EMERGENCY

Monday 13 September 2010

Day 2... The meaning behind my blog name

I already did this! See first ever post. 


So stuff instead. I have been thinking since yesterday eve about a marvellous band called the Murder City Devils ... I was introduced to them by a boy who made a me a spangly mixtape, with each of the 2 sides named after a tv detective. Good times ... he was a bit silly (well, to the best of my knowledge he's just as silly now) and that went to pot somewhat; but every now and then he links to MCD on his Facebook status, which made me think about them. The song he included was 'Alcohol' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seve78ciCwU but my favourite (as I was a lot more inclined to dramatics and poignant lyrics at the time) swiftly became 'I Drank The Wine' - no video, but lyrics are here: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/murder+city+devils/i+drink+the+wine_20188860.html


The boy in question did read a fair amount and I'm sure we discussed books a lot but I'm damned if I can think of much that he recommended. I think I may have read the His Dark Materials books as a result of a conversation he was a part of, which I enjoyed ever so. Was there a favourite, I think it would be The Amber Spyglass - I loved the image of having your death walking around with you as a close friend you could always turn to. 


Mostly I think of him as being very heavily into William S Burroughs and JG Ballard, neither of whom I've ever quite been able to 'get' - which I freely admit is likely to be a character flaw on my part. I have a similar block with Hunter S Thompson ... I tend to think it's down to a lack of interest in drugs and/or hedonism and pushing social boundaries as a life choice; I'm not at all impressed by them and it all strikes me as a little self-congratulatory - 'I'm cool and interesting because I do all this f***ed up stuff, look at me look at me!' - which I really can't be doing with.


Autumn is definitely here now ... I love it! All the shops have hats and scarves and wonders and kneesocks, and The Inbetweeners is back on tv tonight ... eep! Lots to be cheery about. And I don't have work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment